If you missed part 1, please find it here.
Rebuilding the frame
I ordered 2 MakerSlide rails of length 100 cm, 2 aluminum extrusions 20x20x100 mm and 2 aluminum extrusions 20x20x50 mm as well as screws, belt and other parts.
I’ve decided not to shorten any of the aluminum extrusion so my new frame will be 50×104 cm because of the way the corner is assembled. The shorter extrusions are exactly the same length as my y-axis rails so the assembly needs to be as seen in the photo below.
I used extrusion brackets to assemble the corners (they are great) but for some reason I just ordered 6 which isn’t enough: I should have ordered 8 because I need 4 for the corners and 4 for mounting the old extrusions as support for the waste board but I found another solution as you can see later on.
To further strengthen the corner of the frame I decided to mount one of the end plate screws in the end of the shorter extrusion (yes, I cut a thread in the end of the extrusions) and the other one in the longer extrusion using a t-slot nut.
I then shortened the original aluminum extrusion to fit inside the frame and mounted them as support for a new waste board.
After threading the new MakerSlide rails I mounted them on the x-axis.
Because of my decision regarding the corner assembly, the MakerSlide rails for the x-axis were not long enough (14 mm to short) and I had to make spacers from the leftovers from my old aluminum extrusions. It seems to work fine. 🙂
Now I need to put the z-axis gantry back on and rewire the stepper motors …