Fretwork nativity cross
I made this fretwork cross from a piece of 5 millimeter birch plywood I had in my workshop. I used it as a Christmas present for a friend of the family. 🙂
Fretwork nativity cross
The design was made by Sue Mey, Pretoria, and was published in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts, Fall 2009: Issue 36.
Finishing my ShapeOko rebuild
As the last thing on my to-do list I’ve build an enclosure (or box if you will) for my Arduino and GAUPS shield for my ShapeOko so that it will get out of harms way. Please see this post for an explanation.
I decided to make the enclosure from 10 mm plywood and add two improvements to the electronics: a 24V 60 mm fan to keep the GAUPS shield cool and a kill switch to be able cut the power for the stepper motors.
The result looks like this:
Arduino enclosure – other view.
If you’re interested the dxf-file for the enclosure can be downloaded on my woodworking plans page. I milled a 2mm recess for the Arduino in the bottom of the enclosure so the Arduino would fit without the solderings on the bottom of the Arduino will touch the bottom of the enclosure (see the dxf-file).
A rose plaque
This short update just to show you my latest creation: A rose plaque I made as a gift. It took my ShapeOko more than eight hours to mill this one, using 5 mm end mill for roughing and a 3 mm ball nose for the finish in both directions.
Here is the result:
Plaque with a rose
Here’s my first attempt at using v-bit carving to make a simple coaster. 🙂
Coaster made with v-bit carving.
I simply downloaded two bitmaps (one with the border and one with the rose) from the Internet, vectorized them and used ArtCAM Express to create the tool paths. 🙂
If you missed part 4 please find it here.
I’ve been experimenting a little with the shape and size of the weight. I started with a temporary box adding weight until the clocks motion was stable. Then I decided to make the hexagonal box from plywood with a volume of about 350 cubic centimeters and my friend Mogens helped me by casting a lead block inside the box. The final weight is about 2.5 kilo and pulls the clock nicely.
The final weight for the clock
The finished clock
The clock is finished! It’s been a great challenge for me and has required some patience on my part but I think the result was worth the trouble and hard work. I’ve had some mishaps during the work, solved problems and redesigned some parts but it’s been an experience and has made me better at using my scroll saw.
Finished clock close up
Finished clock seen from the side
Just to prove that it actually works I’ve made a small film hanging on our wall in the living room. Click here to watch the movie (about 15 MB).
Thank you for following my experiments. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about it it as much as I have enjoyed making it. Now I just need to find another project… 😉