If you missed part 13, please find it here.
Dominion turntable finished
Finally, the Dominion turntable is finished. It’s been sanded and given a clear coating which really transformed the appearance of the wood.
The finished Dominion turntable
The finished Dominion turntable – a closer look
This post concludes my ShapeOko 2 tutorial. It’s been a fun project and I’ve learned a lot about using my ShapeOko 2 on the way. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about it as much as I’ve enjoyed writing about it. Now I just need another project…. 🙂
A couple of photos from my friend Mads:
Dominion turntable 2
If you missed part 12, please find it here.
The Dominion turntable is coming along nicely but I need some way of making it turn (to put the turn in turntable 🙂 ). I decided to make a Lazy Susan in wood to be the base of the Dominion turntable.
Basically it’s a big ball bearing made from wood and with marbles used as balls. It looks like this:
I milled a circle with outer diameter 250 mm and inner diameter 230 mm and a groove for the marbles. Then I milled a ring with eight holes to hold the marbles evenly distributed and a lid with another groove. Putting it all together it looks like this:
Finished Lazy Susan
Just to test how it will look in the end, I put one half of the Dominion turntable on top:
Dominion turntable test
Now, all that is missing is a lot of sanding and then assembling the whole thing. 🙂
If you missed part 11, please find it here.
So far so good
I’ve finished milling the top of the turntable without anymore unwanted visits from my old pal Murphy. 🙂
The two half circles looks like this:
The two half circles of the Dominion turntable top
Now, a lot of sanding is needed and the two halves needs to be glued together. 🙂
If you missed part 10, please find it here.
This is just an update to let you know that my “friend” Murphy is very much alive and kicking in 2015!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong – and at the worst possible moment.
It’s true! I was just about to finish milling the last quarter of the Dominion turntable when disaster struck: During the last run in the y-direction with the ball nosed cutter, my ShapeOko 2 suddenly decided to shift everything about 10 millimeters in the y-direction with the following result:
Murphy’s law at work
Murphy’s law at work – a closer look
Now I have to start milling these two quarters all over again… 🙁
If you missed part 9, please find it here.
While I was in the process of milling the last quarter of the Dominion turntable, my friend changed his mind about the layout. He realized that he needed one of the holes in the outer ring to be the double depth of the rest of them.
Fortunately, that was no problem since I wasn’t finished milling that quarter, so I changed the design and the g-code accordingly and started over. Here’s the new design:
Dominion turntable – new layout
EDIT: A new OpenSCAD file with this new design can be found at the Woodworking Plans page or here.