Monthly Archives: July 2015

A coin box

Making a coin box

A friend of mine loves board games and has bought a set of coins to use in the games. However, he wanted a box to keep the coins at hand when playing, so we designed a box for that purpose.

I used the same kind of mahogany as we used for the Dominion turntable we made for his Dominion card game. After milling and a lot of sanding I gave it a clear coating to bring the wood to life.

Here’s the result:

Coin box closed.

Coin box closed.

Coin box opened.

Coin box opened.

Here is the OpenSCAD file for it.

Enclosure for my Arduino and GAUPS

Finishing my ShapeOko rebuild

As the last thing on my to-do list I’ve build an enclosure (or box if you will) for my Arduino and GAUPS shield for my ShapeOko so that it will get out of harms way. Please see this post for an explanation.

I decided to make the enclosure from 10 mm plywood and add two improvements to the electronics: a 24V 60 mm fan to keep the GAUPS shield cool and a kill switch to be able cut the power for the stepper motors.

The result looks like this:

Arduino enclosure.

Arduino enclosure.

Arduino enclosure - other view.

Arduino enclosure – other view.

If you’re interested the dxf-file for the enclosure can be downloaded on my woodworking plans page. I milled a 2mm recess for the Arduino in the bottom of the enclosure so the Arduino would fit without the solderings on the bottom of the Arduino will touch the bottom of the enclosure (see the dxf-file).

A new cabinet door

If you missed my post about creating new drawer fronts please find it here.

A matching cabinet door

I’ve finished the drawer fronts and I designed a matching cabinet door. The whole thing looks like this:

Cabinet door and drawers.

Cabinet door and drawers.

And a detailed photo of the center of the cabinet door:

Roses in the center of the cabinet door.

Roses in the center of the cabinet door.

Milling a drawer front

New drawer fronts

I decided to make new fronts for the drawers in my home office using my ShapeOko. This is my first real attempt to use v-bit carving for a larger piece. The finished drawer front is going to look something like this:

Drawer front with swirls.

Drawer front with swirls.

For this particular project I’ve used pine and a 60 degree v-bit. Here’s a video of the process:

And a photo of the finished product:

Finished drawer front.

Finished drawer front.

Now I just need four more to complete the drawers. 🙂

The finished project.

My latest creation

A rose plaque

This short update just to show you my latest creation: A rose plaque I made as a gift. It took my ShapeOko more than eight hours to mill this one, using 5 mm end mill for roughing and a 3 mm ball nose for the finish in both directions.

Here is the result:

Plaque with a rose

Plaque with a rose