Monthly Archives: June 2015

Rebuilding my ShapeOko 2 – part 3

If you missed part 2, please find it here.

Finishing the frame

Now I’ve finished the frame, mounted the z-axis gantry and rewired all the stepper motors. It starts to look like a ShapeOko again. 🙂

Z-axis gantry mounted.

Z-axis gantry mounted.

A first test run

My new GAUPS shield has an extra slot for a stepper motor driver which allows for running a dual y operation on separate stepper motor drivers. I didn’t really plan to change the setup I had (running two stepper motors on one driver) but since I’m rebuilding everything, I decided to take the opportunity to try using both drivers for dual y operation.

After connecting everything and switch some wires to make the stepper motors run in the correct direction, I was ready to give it a try:

 

In the video above I’m moving the machine 800 mm on the x-axis, 300 mm on the y-axis and 25 mm on the z-axis just to test that I actually have the working area I expected. 🙂

Rebuilding my ShapeOko 2 – part 2

If you missed part 1, please find it here.

Rebuilding the frame

I ordered 2 MakerSlide rails of length 100 cm, 2 aluminum extrusions 20x20x100 mm and 2 aluminum extrusions 20x20x50 mm as well as screws, belt and other parts.

The main components for my new frame.

The main components for my new frame.

I’ve decided not to shorten any of the aluminum extrusion so my new frame will be 50×104 cm because of the way the corner is assembled. The shorter extrusions are exactly the same length as my y-axis rails so the assembly needs to be as seen in the photo below.

New frame with y-axis rails mounted.

New frame with y-axis rails mounted.

I used extrusion brackets to assemble the corners (they are great) but for some reason I just ordered 6 which isn’t enough: I should have ordered 8 because I need 4 for the corners and 4 for mounting the old extrusions as support for the waste board but I found another solution as you can see later on.

Corner assembled using extrusion bracket.

Corner assembled using extrusion bracket.

To further strengthen the corner of the frame I decided to mount one of the end plate screws in the end of the shorter extrusion (yes, I cut a thread in the end of the extrusions) and the other one in the longer extrusion using a t-slot nut.

Corner assembly seen from the outside.

Corner assembly seen from the outside.

I then shortened the original aluminum extrusion to fit inside the frame and mounted them as support for a new waste board.

Support extrusions mounted.

Support extrusions mounted.

After threading the new MakerSlide rails I mounted them on the x-axis.

X-axis rails mounted.

X-axis rails mounted.

Because of my decision regarding the corner assembly, the MakerSlide rails for the x-axis were not long enough (14 mm to short) and I had to make spacers from the leftovers from my old aluminum extrusions. It seems to work fine. 🙂

X-rail spacers.

X-rail spacers.

Now I need to put the z-axis gantry back on and rewire the stepper motors …

Part 3.

Rebuilding my ShapeOko 2

Rebuilding my ShapeOko 2

As you may have read my GRBL shield broke, my Kress FME 800 spindle is broken and sent back to Germany for repair and I’m in the process of rebuilding my cyclone, so while everything is taken apart, I’ve decided to make my ShapeOko 2 bigger on one axis (the x-axis) so it will be 50×100 cm with a working area of approximately 30×80 cm.

Here are some photos of the process:

My original ShapeOko 2

My original ShapeOko 2.

Spindle mount removed.

Spindle mount removed.

Waste board removed.

Waste board removed.

X-axis removed.

X-axis removed.

Frame taken apart.

Frame taken apart.

My plan is to reuse the black aluminum 20×20 mm extrusions as extra support for a new waste board.

Part 2.

My new gaups shield – part 2

If you missed part 1 please find it here.

My new shield is ready

Finally my stepper motor drivers arrived and I’m ready to move on. I’ve placed them in their sockets and have adjusted the drivers according to this procedure.

Arduino with GAUPS shield and stepper motor drivers.

Arduino with GAUPS shield and stepper motor drivers.

Unfortunately I’m not ready to go because my Kress 800 FME spindle is broken. 🙁

I suspect that the carbon brushes are worn out but I’ve returned it to the reseller so we shall see what happens…