Monthly Archives: January 2014

Download woodworking plans

Today I’ve added a new page where some of the woodworking plans I’ve made and/or used over the years can be downloaded. I noticed in the statistics of my site that a lot of people came looking for plans that were available on my old homepage.

Over time I’ll add posts that explain the use of the plans but for now I’ve just made the plans available for download. Please, feel free to download and hopefully enjoy using them as I did.

Box joint jig – part 3

If you missed part 2 please find it here.

Finishing the electronics

Today I’ve finished building the electronics for my Arduino driven box joint jig. On top of the schematics shown in part 1 I also included a standalone ATMega328 chip instead of using my Arduino directly. I was inspired by this page and it turned out to be quite easy.

DSC01074DSC01075

The ATMega328 chip (including crystal and capacitors)  that I bought came with the Duemilanove boot loader installed, so I simply inserted the chip on my Arduino Uno board, chose the Arduino Duemilanove w/ATmega328 option under tools and uploaded my sketch to the chip.

All I need to do now is to build a new box joint jig and install the electronics… 🙂

Wooden clock – part 3

If you missed part 2 please find it here.

Finishing the frame and mounting the gears

The frame is finished with spacers on the backside and holes for the axles. The spacers on the backside are designed to create a space for the pendulum between the frame and the wall.

The frame

The frame

The frame with gears

The frame with gears

In the last photo all the gears are mounted in the frame as a test to see if they will actually work together. I assembled the rest (pendulum and all) and started testing how much weight it takes to run the clock. Brian Law suggests starting with 6 pounds but I chose to start considerably lower with 1 kilo.

Here my first serious setback happened in the project. There is a piece in the shape of a semicircle (number 31 in the plans) that allows the clock to be winded and prevents the spool holding the weight from running backwards. It broke and the weight fell on the floor with a bang! It was simply to tiny to hold the weight.

After a few “blessings” I started all over again with a new spool (number 34 on the plans) and two new gears (numbers 30 and 36 on the plans). I chose to make the spool diameter larger (about 1.5 times the original) and to create a gear with larger teeth than the original (number 36 in the plans). Of course I had to create a new version of number 31 on the plans that will fit my new gear (number 36) and be stronger than the original.

I then reassembled the clock for another test and it actually works. 🙂